Introduction to
Study in Japan

After graduation for international students

Working in Japan

Once you have completed the required credits at a university (graduate school), junior college, or vocational school, you will be able to work (find employment) in Japan. (In the case of a vocational school, Diploma is required.) Basically, employment in Japan is granted when you work in a job that utilizes the knowledge and skills you majored in at your study abroad destination (school), so you need to pay attention to this point when you wish to work in Japan. When you start working (getting a job), you will need to submit an application to the Immigration Bureau along with documents from the period of time you will actually be working in order to change your status of residence from "College Student" to "Working" (you cannot change your status just because you want to). The main statuses of residence that allow employment are shown in Table 4. As of 2011, the total number of people who applied for permission to change their status of residence from "College Student" or "Pre-college Student" to "Employment" was 9,143, of which 8,586 (93.9%) were approved. The main residence statuses are "humanities/international services" and "technology," and the most common job duties are translation and interpretation, followed by sales and marketing, information processing, and overseas business.

The Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) provides international students who have studied in Japan for two years after their return to their home countries with free access to specialized materials and the opportunity to conduct short-term research at a Japanese university for a period of 90 days or less, with the aim of further enhancing the results of their study in Japan by promoting research in their respective fields of expertise.

Job placement agencies for international students, professional and technical occupations

Employment Service Center for Foreigners

13th Floor Yotsuya Tower, CO・MO・RE Yotsuya 1-6-1 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160-0004

Osaka Employment Service Center for Foreigners

16th Floor Hankyu Grand Building, 8-47, Kakuda-cho, Kita-ku, Osaka City, Osaka 530-0017